In this illustration tutorial I'm going to show you how you can draw a nice, black car using vector drawing and gradients.
Before I begin, it is crucial to state that this tutorial requires a knowledge of vector drawing. So, if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, do have a look at this tutorial (it's not difficult and will take a few minutes).
So... let's begin!
1. We'll start by shaping the outline of our car. Do that by first grabbing the Rectangle Tool, and giving it the right look.
Your drawing doesn't have to be exactly the same as the one below, though
2. In step two, insert a new layer and select the Line Tool to draw outlines of the car windows, doors, and others. As you can see, my drawing isn't very detailed, to be honest I don't advise making yours too detailed either.
3. Now that you've drawn the outlines, you should copy it to the layer our car is on — only in that way we'll be able to select the windows. That shows one of the rules of how lines and fills behave in Flash. Namely that you can use lines to separate fills.
In accordance with this, make sure that there is absolutely no gap!
Once you've selected one of the windows, turn on the Color Mixer Panel (SHIFT + F9), and pick a white-to-black gradient.
The end result should be:
Select the Gradient Transform Tool to scale and place the gradient appropriately. I explain these tools thoroughly in this cheap video tutorial.
4. We'll draw a pair of headlights.
Again, take the Rectangle Tool and shape the right and left headlights, then you can apply a gradient. Choose gray and white as the opposite colors.
5. In step 5, we'll add some some more detail to the car. Look at the images below:
Draw shapes similar to these and fill them with a dark color. Also, remember to add a light color, so that our drawing looks more realistic.
OK. This is the end of part one. I think we have done a pretty good job. In the next part we're going to add tires to our Flash car.